Have been struggling for over a week now to try to get Rosie Shortell’s wonderful Llama jacket (seen here above) knitting instructions to stay on my blog post as my WordPress blog doesn’t like pdfs…. SO luckily Briggitte Schwitter has come to the rescue and has just added it to her own Facebook posts for you to see and use.
Below are the bits and pieces that have been managed so far to change from pdfs.
This is the illustration diagram for the back.
Here are the instructions again in a much clearer print.
LLAMA COAT Materials – 4 ply in three colours. Needles – 3 mm. Five small buttons. PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING.
Row 1 Starts at the bottom right of the pattern,
Row 2 at the left.
BACK Knit rows start at bottom right, purl rows at bottom left. Knit 2 together at marked green squares near top of back and fronts
FRONT BANDS The front bands of 4 stitches on right front & left front (with buttonholes ) are in Garter stitch (all knit rows)
SLEEVE Put fronts to back, wrong sides together and sew shoulders (from arm edge for 3.5 cm) Pick up and knit 31 sts. right side facing, along armhole edge.
COLLAR In front band colour Row 1.
Pick up 6 stitches across neck front (but not from the 4 stitch band.)
Pick up 17 stitches across back and pick up 6 stitches across the other front (but not from 4 stitch band) (29 sts.)
Row 2. Knit Row 3. K6. (*k into front and back of next stitch) k to last 7 sts. (repeat *) K 6 Row 4. K7. (*k into front and back of next stitch) k to last 8 sts. (repeat *) K 7
Row 5 to Row 10 Knit Cast off very loosely.
Knitted in stocking stitch whichever side you start from (to save rejoining yarn)
PART A of Graph Pattern
- Cast on 65 sts. In main ( not white ) yarn. Smaller size needles
- Row 1. Rib one row in main colour. Smaller size needles
Change to 3mm needles
- Follow grid for stripes and pattern until second orange row.
- The GREEN DOTS show where to knit 2 tog.
- Break off yarn leaving about 12”. Thread the last 20 sts with the yarn pull tight and fasten. Sew up back seam.
PART B of Graph Pattern
- Pick up 8 sts. for earflaps stocking st. 2 alternate colours, knit 2 tog. at each end of 9th, 11th &12th
- Cast off last 2 sts.
- Repeat for second one.
WHITE EDGING(smaller needles)p on graph (it is in 2 pieces )
- Pick up and rib 3 rows. *(As I was on a knit row when I finished I cast off purlwise) Sew in ends.
- Repeat for second earflap.
- Sew – join earflaps to white edge.
- Either crochet one row around ear flap in white. Or pick up and cast off around earflap in white.
TIES– (my ties were too short yarn 30”)
- Crochet – 60” of yarn, thread it through earflap so it is double and crochet the tie. Or plait it.
- Charlotte had a pompom on her hat made with 2 rings and trimmed to size. But a little crochet stalk would also look nice.
Wishing all you knitters a great success with the knitting up of this fabulous coat which was first created for the UK Sasha World magazine (but has since been simplified and the hat added) and look forward to seeing some of the results in the near future.
Below are three photos of my coat on one of my Gotz dolls knitted by Rosie herself from her original pattern and given to me for my 70th birthday. Mine has working pockets. The hat pattern wasn’t invented then.
The next four photos are of Theresa O’Neill’s jacket knitted from the older original Sasha World Magazine pattern like mine was. Please notice the addition of the tails!
These two below are of Dawn’s knitted jacket and hat and are from the latest new pattern instructions.
PS Will still try to get help with listing the rest of the coat here incase there are people who are not able to get onto Brigitte’s Facebook.